Work background. (Click on the underlined links for more info.)
Currently working with Boroondara Dog Training (www.boroondaradogtraining.com.au) taking classes in dog training and behaviour.
• Completed Delta Society Australia, CGC (cert IV)
• Lectured for the Delta Canine Good Citizens Instructors course.
• Presented seminars and workshops on animal behaviour, training , aggression, work safety and shelter dog training across Australia and New Zealand
• Presented at conferences on animal behaviour, shelter dog rehab and training in Australia and New Zealand.
• Annual guest lecturer for Melbourne University
Animal Assisted Therapy/Activity Work
• Was co founder and previous co owner/operater of Empathy Education & Training. An education consultancy that specialised in Animal Assisted Therapy programs for children. I designed and implemented AAT programs specifically to address the impact of violence, trauma and homelessness to children. Also protocols and policies for the selection, training, welfare and monitoring of animals used in therapy. ‘Article – Federal Member for Dunkley’
• Presented at conferences on AAT and selection, training and management of animals for AAT in Australia and New Zealand. ‘Article - Wairarapa Times-Age Article 25/9/06’
• Worked as Animal Program Coordinator for Menzies Inc, at Sages Cottage. Designed and conducted animal assisted therapy programs working with children from a background of abuse & neglect or indications of behavioural problems. Included design of protocols for selection, training and management of appropriate animals, design of therapeutic interactive environments and provision of training and volunteer coordination. ‘Article - The Age, May 30, 2004’
• Assisted with the design of small animal interactive environments at RSPCA Peninsula branch to provide a forum for therapeutic programs.
• Worked with Delta Society Australia’s Pet Partners Program. Redesigned their early program to produce a format allowing the expansion of this program from a single branch to the opening of many branches throughout Australia. As National volunteer coordinator I provided training and support for new and established branches during this period. As Victorian Pet Partner Coordinator I managed many teams of dogs and their owners to regularly visiting nursing homes and hospitals. I was involved in evaluation of suitability of teams of dogs and owners, design and delivery of training and seminars for Branch committees and Pet Partner volunteers.
My publications include
• Co-author/researcher for a children’s book ‘Can I Pat that Dog?’
• Was a coauthor of a published research on Thunderstorm Phobic dogs, co-authored by N Dodman et al Tufts University appearing in the AAHA (American Animal Hospital Association) in July 2001. ‘ Thunderstorm Phobia Research’
• Founder of ‘Canine Current Events’
• Was a co author of Delta ‘Dog Safe’ a harm reduction program to involve local communities in reducing risk to children from dog bites. This program is operational in many states of Australia and was subsequently incorporated into the NSW SPOT program for delivery to all NSW primary schools. ‘Delta Dog Safe Program presentation UAM Conference 2001’